stumbleUpon

Monday, February 7, 2011

Social Media and Gadgets: Michelle's Take

I find it interesting how technology changes the way we live on a daily basis and how we interact with those around us. For example, when I was in grade school, everyone had a land-line phone. I used to have the phone numbers of all of my close friends memorized (and can still rattle them off to this day). Now, however, I couldn't even tell you my boyfriend's cell phone number. Although his number is the one most frequently dialed, there is no need to have the numbers memorized because of the programming techniques every basic cell phone has now. In fact, my dad even cut service to our land-line phone because there is just no need for it. We all have our own cell phones and it was just another bill.

Now, I don't feel that there is necessarily anything wrong with that, although it can be a nightmare if something happens to our phone and we lose ALL our contacts...that has happened to me on more than one occasion! But it can be a bit sad that our technology has begun to cripple our socialization skills. Patrick mentioned how we hardly ever call friends just to chat. Instead, we text or Facebook each other. My experience has even gone a step further. I once had a boss whose primary form of communication was texting! This went a little too far for me. To each his own.

That said, I do see the extraordinary benefits of social media and the progression of technology. And that is another post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment