stumbleUpon

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Graphics card review

This post may be particular interesting to readers that have a more technical background. I recently purchased a new graphics card for my desktop computer. Now, I know that graphics cards are far from gadgets (in my mind it must be mobile), but many people find them interesting (including myself), so I will give a general review of my new purchase. A graphics card, or chip, is what you plug a monitor into on a desktop. Laptops also have graphics chips, but they are not user replaceable, meaning the manufactures decides what chip you are going to use and you stick with that chip for the life of laptop. Desktop graphics cards are replaceable. You can choose from a wide range of speeds and features, and in some cases, you can even have more than one. Graphics cards are like computer processors. They go up in value the faster they get. Their primary purpose is to allow for very computing intense video games. I purchased a Radeon 6970, which cost me $350 after it was all said and done. That may sound like a lot, and it is, but I bought top-of-the-line equipment because I have a non standard computer setup. I knew that I would be spending quite a bit on the graphics card when I chose that setup design. So far, I love it! It plays all my computer games quite well (on the highest setting in most cases). I just wish I had more time to play them. I have had trouble with other brands of cards in the past, hopefully this purchase will work out better. Next post, I will talk about other more helpful uses of these very expensive gadgets.

No comments:

Post a Comment